Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Instruments of Torture

I had a dental appointment today to replace a filling I flossed out about six months ago. As I was laying there, exhausted and vulnerable, my mind began to wander as it is prone to do. The filling needed to be next to another tooth which required the use of a metal band around the tooth getting the filling. This band is placed by attaching it to another metal instrument, about 3 inches long, and wiggling it down over the tooth. The metal rod part stayed attached throughout the whole procedure, invading my peripheral vision. Meanwhile, the dentist asked her assistant for instrument after instrument, all of which resembled medieval devices of torture. I think this may be why the British seem to be a bit afraid of their dentists. Medicine has come a long way with all of the technological advances of this and the previous century. Surgeries can be performed with cameras, lasers, and minute incisions. I saw on the news that you can now get a virtual colonoscopy. Sure beats a camera snake up your butt. Dentistry doesn't seem to have had the same advances. My exams and cleanings have not changed much over my lifetime; the tools are the same and the fluoride treatment is even nastier since bubble gum is no longer a desirable flavor for anything. I suppose it would be hard to change anything though. There's not much need for lasers or laparoscopy. Although it would be very cool if a cleaning just consisted of a quick zap with a light.

No comments: